Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lemon Braised Beef Short Ribs

Each miserable winter season I become mildly obsessed with one comforting ingredient, last year was macaroni and cheese, the prior year roasted chicken, this year beef short ribs. Mind you my waiste line pays for these "obsessions" but at least I stimulate the economy with the need to acquire new pants, Banana Republic should send me a thank you card. For Christians, the Lenten season is upon us and this is a time of fast and sacrifice thus it's time to throw in my short rib obsession. I hope next year I can hold on to something like spinach...

Most recipes involving beef short ribs either take an Asian approach or a red wine braise. While both are very good and satisfying, I wanted to try something that combined my love of citrus with this wonderfully fatty and flavorful cut of meat. I enjoyed this version but think a good red wine braise is the best fit for short ribs.

2 lbs. beef short ribs cross cut
1/4 olive oil
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 small onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
4 springs of thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cold water


Directions
-Rinse ribs and remove from the fridge at least and hour before cooking. Season with pepper and chopped thyme, add salt prior to searing.
-Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
-Heat olive in heavy bottomed vessel that holds at least 6 qt. In small batches sear the ribs on each side and remove from pot.
-Add carrots, onions, celery, thyme springs, bay leaf cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until softened.
-Deglaze veggies with white wine

-Add lemon juice and water, bring to a rolling boil, add short ribs cover with tight fitting lid and place in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
-Ribs at this point should fall off the bone and serve

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin